Rygar pixel perfect Amiga version

minter
Agradecimiento recibido: 926 veces

Re: Rygar pixel perfect Amiga version

Mensajepor minter » 07 Mar 2019 10:49

Último mensaje de la página anterior:

kikems escribió:Por iniciativa propia Graeme ha visto este hilo y se ha registrado en el foro con el ánimo de ayudar a Chema y a todos aquellos que lo necesiten para programar en Amiga, así que aprovechar la oportunidad. Mi experiencia con Graeme es que es un gran tipo y muy colaborativo, un ejemplo de Amiguero de los que cada día necesitamos más en estas comunidades retro.

¡Ay va! Le debían de pitar los oídos! -grin

Ahora Chema no tiene escusa para programar algo en Amiga! -507

La verdad es que Graeme ya lo pone en los comentarios de sus fuentes. Que cada uno es libre para poder aprovechar los fuentes para otras cosas.
Así que desde el principio, está dispuesto a compartir y divulgar. -thumbup

Es muy interesante el fuente del BombJack, todo lleno de comentarios. En un vistazo rápido, vi que tiene todo estructurado bastante bien y limpio.
El fuente del Rygar aún no lo he visto.

Creo que voy a tener que sacar un curso básico de programación en 68k para Minters. -507

mcgeezer
Agradecimiento recibido: 15 veces

Mensajepor mcgeezer » 07 Mar 2019 11:13

Hi everyone, apologies but I'm not confident in fluent Spanish so I have to use the translator which sometimes does not work properly.

I appreciate you looking through my source code and liking my ports of Rygar and Bomb Jack, it is my hope that I can help others code old skool style on the Amiga, I know it is very hard to get started with it and takes a lot of up front effort but if you keep at it you will find yourself breaking down the barriers in no time at all.

If you have any questions about how my code works then feel free to ask me - I will try and come by the forum each day.

Be sure to look out for some tutorial videos that I plan to publish later in the year, this will focus on Amiga game coding as opposed to demo coding so I will tackle things like doulbe buffering, memory management, object orientated assembler, sprite driving, scrolling, debugging, setting up your environment etc.

The tutorial video referenced earlier was really just for my benefit so that I could remember how to setup the environment with VASM/Notepad++ etc, I know it is very long and boring and I got mixed up half way through, it included no editing.

Most but not all of my source code is commented, I could go back and add the comments but i will cover some of it in my tutorials.

Thanks for the welcome and like I said, fire any questions at me and I will do my best to answer them.

Graeme

kikems
Agradecimiento recibido: 1207 veces

Mensajepor kikems » 07 Mar 2019 14:21

mcgeezer escribió:Hi everyone, apologies but I'm not confident in fluent Spanish so I have to use the translator which sometimes does not work properly.

I appreciate you looking through my source code and liking my ports of Rygar and Bomb Jack, it is my hope that I can help others code old skool style on the Amiga, ...

Thanks for your help and welcome to retrowiki.

minter

Mensajepor minter » 07 Mar 2019 14:56

Cheers Graeme!

Wellcome to RetroWiki!!

Congratulations for your great game port! It looks like perfect!

We are very grateful for all the help you can offer us to understand how program the Amiga. I think the most interested programmer is Chema, but at the moment, it has not gone beyond "Hello World" with the Amiga. XD
He only knows about the Oric world. The rest is sci fi fiction. -507

best regards! -drinks

Estrayk
Agradecimiento recibido: 467 veces

Mensajepor Estrayk » 07 Mar 2019 16:15

A pleasure to have you here Mcgeezer.
-j4tar1 ・Falcon 060 ・・MegaSTE ・・STe ・
-coam1・v600 ・A1260・CD32・G5 MorphOS・
MISTMiSTer・Acorn Archimedes A3010・Mac Performa 040/40・Mac 4400 ・PowerMac G4 MDD・

web8bits
Agradecimiento recibido: 84 veces
Contactar:

Mensajepor web8bits » 07 Mar 2019 18:21

Welcome on board mcgeezer, your Amiga ports are outstanding.

jltursan
Agradecimiento recibido: 437 veces

Mensajepor jltursan » 07 Mar 2019 19:21

Welcome to the forum!, you're doing an amazing job with your ports!

The tutorial video referenced earlier was really just for my benefit so that I could remember how to setup the environment with VASM/Notepad++ etc, I know it is very long and boring and I got mixed up half way through, it included no editing.

Oh, that explains all! -grin , it needs some ironing indeed; but as you pointed out it works for you :-)

I'm also a big fan of NP++ and NppExec, you can do wonders with the later.
Btw, have you already tried to speed a bit the development process avoiding the workbench loading and manual launch of the program? (using a ready-made startup-sequence or more complex solutions like xdftools).

mcgeezer

Mensajepor mcgeezer » 07 Mar 2019 19:29

jltursan escribió:Welcome to the forum!, you're doing an amazing job with your ports!

Oh, that explains all! -grin , it needs some ironing indeed; but as you pointed out it works for you :-)

I'm also a big fan of NP++ and NppExec, you can do wonders with the later.
Btw, have you already tried to speed a bit the development process avoiding the workbench loading and manual launch of the program? (using a ready-made startup-sequence or more complex solutions like xdftools).

Yes I use a simple start-up sequence so the Amiga boots with the executable that vasm just built, it's very simple.

I've started to look at xdftools but as of yet I've not really come across a huge time-saving use case but suspect I will when Rygar moves to needing two disks.

Geezer

jltursan

Mensajepor jltursan » 07 Mar 2019 19:50

Yep, this kind of tools are real time-savers when the project starts to grow-up and the number of external resources increases.

Chema
Agradecimiento recibido: 551 veces
Contactar:

Mensajepor Chema » 07 Mar 2019 19:54

Welcome and thanks for your offer of help, mcgeezer. I would not like to flood this thread, so just a quick note for everyone asking :) My problems are not related to programming the Amiga (yet, that will surely come later on) but about how to setup a cross-dev suite. To be honest, I just made a quick (unsuccessful) attempt.

I wanted to be able to write C code, mix with some asm (so I can start learning progressively), and find a way to build and execute in a simple step. My intended target was an Amiga 500.

So I tried setting up vbcc and vasm in my PC with no success (I can't remember why, now). Then, I stumbled upon a toolchain called winuaedemotoolchain5v3 which included everything I needed (also tools for converting graphics and such things). I compiled the included demos (asm) and they worked nicely, so I tried my first program:

Código: Seleccionar todo

#include <stdio.h>

int main(int argc, void *argv[])
{
   printf("Hola mundo");
   return 0;
}

Easy as pie, isn't it? Well... no.

I learnt that the included libraries ('m68k-amigaos') were intended for WB 3.1. I had to look for a specific set of libraries for 1.3. I can't remember now how I ended up with one which did not include stdio, if I recalled correctly, although eventually I seem to have solved also that. My program (after some tweaks on the config files, which are quite difficult to master) ended up compiling and, when launched, it showed the CLI, stopped there for some time (probably loading the program) and... Guru Meditation.

If I remove the printf sentence the program loads, does nothing as expected, and the CLI ends up with the prompt: 1> Nothing else that I can do. Not even a command.

The same toolchain has a .bat file to compile and run in Aros, so I also tried. In this case the message is printed, but an Alert is shown complaining about "Sanity check on memory list failed".

And that is all my experience... I will probably have to start from scratch again, but not having a downloadable dev environment with simple C examples and instructions is quite a nightmare for us the ignorant lamers -507

mcgeezer

Mensajepor mcgeezer » 07 Mar 2019 22:50

@chema

Thanks for the welcome! I'm more of a pure assembler person, although I can code in C I haven't set it up on the Amiga I'm happy to give it a try.

I will let you know how I get on in a few days.

Thanks,
Geezer

mcgeezer

Mensajepor mcgeezer » 08 Mar 2019 14:58

Hi @chema,

Just to let you know I was able to compile and run your c code without any problems.

Could I suggest you use vbcc located here: http://sun.hasenbraten.de/vbcc/

I simply ran the Install-VBCC.exe and extracted it to the default directory, the profile I used was an Amiga-1.3.

The documentation is here: http://server.owl.de/~frank/vbcc/docs/vbcc.pdf

I simply set the environment variables as stated on install page for windows in the pdf, copied your c code into notepad and saved it as hello.c

then ran vc hello.c -o hello which produced an Amiga 1.3 executable and printed the string correctly.

Geezer

Chema
Agradecimiento recibido: 551 veces
Contactar:

Mensajepor Chema » 08 Mar 2019 16:20

So it was just me screwing things up! Ok, thank you so much. I will have a look as soon as possible. I don't know what did wrong.

minter

Mensajepor minter » 11 Mar 2019 15:25

masteries escribió:Rygar versión arcade pixel perfect en un Amiga 1200 es posible,

en el 1200 tienes una CPU de 32 bits a 14 MHz y un hardware de vídeo AGA,
en el arcade tienes 2 CPUs Z80 a 4 MHz y un hardware de vídeo que a buen seguro se encarga de dibujar todo,

lo raro sería que el 1200 no pudiera alcanzar lo que hace este hardware arcade de 1986,
no le quito mérito, que molar mola lo suyo; ¡pero en un A500 o un Atari STE molaría más!

Pues es un tema de limitaciones del A500:

How come you choose to target the stock A1200 for Rygar?

The A1200 has just about enough resources to match the arcade hardware. Where the number of hardware sprites (8), and the blitter on the A500 and A1200 are the same, there are some real key differences. The sprites can be 64 pixels wide, and the display can be drawn pretty much 4 times faster than on an A500. Essentially an A1200 gets you 12 free sprites on Rygar, where an A500 would get you maybe 6, that's a big difference. The other big difference is the number of bitplanes on the A1200, I was able to get 32 colours on the front playfield, and 8 on the back playfield, and an A500 would simply not be able to do that. Like I said, with a bit of manipulation, the A1200 can roughly push the same as the arcade, which can do 24 32x32 sprites at any one time.

Eso es lo malo de tener un ordenador respecto a una placa dedicada a videojuegos. -drinks

jltursan

Mensajepor jltursan » 11 Mar 2019 19:21

Oh, es verdad que el A1200 tiene 8 bitplanes pero nunca había pensado en que en modo dual-playfield se podían repartir también, 5/3. Efectivamente todo un lujazo -thumbup

mcgeezer

Mensajepor mcgeezer » 11 Mar 2019 19:33

jltursan escribió:Oh, es verdad que el A1200 tiene 8 bitplanes pero nunca había pensado en que en modo dual-playfield se podían repartir también, 5/3. Efectivamente todo un lujazo -thumbup

The A1200 does not support the configuration in hardware, but with clever colour palette manipulation and blitting the 3 background bitplanes you can achieve the result.

metsämies

Mensajepor metsämies » 11 Mar 2019 20:08

Then following this theory SOTB series and many other games are imposible to do on a500.
Amiga ennen kaikkea!

Volver a “Amiga”